Sports, UConn Athletes, Cheerleaders & Husky Pride



"Final Line of Defense”
My University Life with Sports

 I love sports very much. When I was very young, I learn playing table tennis in a sports training center for nearly a year. Although I didn’t want to grow up as a professional table tennis player and gave up training after going to primary school, experiences during that time strongly fostered my interest in sports.
 I learn swimming and playing soccer in my PE lessons in high school, and became a member of the soccer team of our class after I entered university. Unlike UCONN, sports programs in my home university are often held within and between different schools. For example, I study in School of Pharmacy which locates in Zhangjiang Campus of my university where there are also School of Computer Science and other schools of engineering major. Each year we have Zhangjiang Cup soccer games and basketball games between these schools. There are not so many sports programs in university or interuniversity level other than the annually held sports meeting in my university as that in UCONN. I still remember going to see the soccer game between UCONN Husky and IONA with my friends during my first week in UCONN. We shouted in the bleachers “UCONN! Husky! Woo~~~”, and when the game came to an end with Husky’s winning, people all arose from their seats, applauding and waving their hands to the players with great excitement.


 That game recalled me the days in my class soccer team. The first month after I entered there was the Freshmen Cup soccer games among all schools of our university. I was the fullback in our team which was often called by our captain “the final line of our defense”. Though there were not so many students coming to see our game at that time, I really enjoyed fighting with other members as a team. I fought back each ball together with other fullbacks, and helped our strikers accomplish their shooting. Although I was not the man who directly shoot, I felt greatly proud and excited after my team got the goal. Although my team didn’t win all the games in that year’s Freshmen Cup and later the Zhangjiang Cup, we were very happy to fight together every time.
Even though I don’t participate in UCONN Husky soccer team (there is only one semester for me to stay in UCONN), I wish that UCONN Husky and all other UCONN sports teams could win more games in the future!

P.S. Attached with this blog there are three photos of our Freshmen Cup in 2014. Photo 1 is our class soccer team and I was the “temporary captain” in that game because our real captain got injured and could not play. In Photo 2 I am the man in red in the left running towards the ball, and in Photo 3 I was the running red men in the middle.

 Written by: Xingyu Zhou

No comments