The Election




I’m the sort of the person will very little political awareness within wherever I’m living in. When I was still studying in China, I only knew that the name of our leader--“chairman” is just the same as “president” on the western side, and that’s it--no idea of the new legislation, socioeconomic issues around the country or national political events happening during the time.  And same when I moved to Australia, I still barely can understand the core ethics and purposes that each divisional party beholds and what really Australia is about. But the intensity during the election and public/media attention that I have witnessed at the United State of America has stunned me in many ways. It feels like I’m part of the roles of voting and changing the history. It feels like, for the first time that voicing does matter and be cherished in the country.

Although I wouldn’t say the voting system is totally fair and free of errors, after watching the election, it raises up so much public concern that the media, the country has seldom heard of. It might be astonishing as it sounded, I think what I saw out of the election, is that America is consisted of two countries on the land. Many prominent local media sources have failed to align with the actual thoughts of the people. The majority has signaled their discontent with the status quo and feeling not represented in the country today. Therefore for many of them, they have to voice up their concerns, especially of their economic states. Their intimidating frustration towards the lack of economic progress and the feeling of being stuck in a rut have urged me to impress by how much freedom can be expressed in this country. But at the same time, I’m worried because the price that the majority willing to pay for is the morality and the preservation right for being an equal human being, in order to achieve what they want. What I’m even more surprised and shocked about is that the years and decades they fought to gain for what is the social progress and respects for the vulnerable minority group can be abandoned and regressed in the expense of more “actualistic” victory.

On the other side, there’s still half of the country would like to be listened to their mourning and despairing, in the hope that America’s foundation of democracy, America’s values and commitments to social justice will not be changed overnight. There’s not going to be a sudden stop protecting the weaker side just because one person is elected to be the president. However, It’s haunting to imagine that over just half year, the leaders of the country will switch enormously from democrats to republicans and how much America will be affected by such. But I have a strong feeling that the republican party has put on a mask to confuse people and in fact, it might not be as bad as it was during the presidential race, when they are ruling the country. So for the people that side with the democrats, I firmly believe there’s still laws and people will fight to ensure you feel valued and protected, regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, or legal status.

Purposefully, I didn’t name any of the presidential candidates in my article, because I really think a leader is only one representative of a more cohesive force behind. The political leaning is just like a playing on swing. Soon enough, the swing will be back to the middle. Ultimately, it isn’t about who wins the presidential campaign, but who can “make America great again”, who can break the icebergs that America is frozen in to rescue the country. Though I have very limited understanding and knowledge to comprehend deeper in the complexity/controversy of this political debate, all I know is the eventual goal after all is to build bridges between parties but not walls, the eventual goal is to reunite as a country and move forwards with the world. 

Written by: Nicky Li 


No comments