What have you noticed about food in the U.S.? What have you found most interesting, surprising or different about American food and food culture?






 The first thing I noticed about the food in the United States is that it was not disgusting as I was expecting. It is actually pretty good! Still, there are some differences with my home country that can’t be forgot.For example, I really miss bread, and by that I mean real French baguettes. Here, you can tell just by the look and the touch that the bread isn’t softy, crunchy and tasteful like French bread. When I say I missed my bread… But to be fair, given clichés on French food, I kind of felt forced to write a little about how I miss French food; but still, bread is life!

When you’re new to some place, there are things you don’t understand because you’re not familiar with the uses. There are probably a lot of absurd food things in my home country from an American point of view, but I had the most incredible and uncomprehending time when I found a weird packet of unidentified food in my freezer. It turned out to be chicken, but I’m still in a WTF-state; I don’t understand how it can be chicken and what happened with it.

  Seriously, how is that chicken? 
(photo by Fannie Dauphant)

 
Among the other things that surprised me is the size of everything. And it’s not just the case about food: it’s the same for cars, buildings, … But let’s go back to food. First, the dishes are much larger, so you eat more. Food portions are also bigger, which makes sense but can also be a bit stupid when you don’t have enough place in your fridge to keep your 5L milk container. Besides, in the United States, eggs are white, not brown! A small difference that can be very surprising when opening the box.

Surprise! (photo by Fannie Dauphant)


Another very surprising thing is the biscuits. I mean, the cookies. Indeed, here, you won’t have many choices if you want biscuits: “diet-conscious” biscuits, cookies, or oreos. Cookies are so important that the supermarket section is even called “cookies” and not “biscuits”. You better like cookies!
One last thing that very caught me by surprise is the price of the food in the supermarket. I was very happy not to have meal plan, saying to myself that it will allow me to save some money. Wrong! Very very wrong, especially if you try to buy a $7 Camembert!


Written by: Fannie Dauphant



No comments