What are some of the most noticeable differences in academics and classroom etiquette between UConn and your home university? How have you adjusted to these differences?





One of the most noticeable difference between the academics at my home university and UConn is the amount of homework and classes. Here, at UConn, I have a looot of readings to do, and worst of it, I am graded on those, which force me to study every day; and I’m not used to that!! Usually I study a few weeks before the final exams and I’m free the rest of the time. The thing is, I have way less classes at UConn than in my home university, which still let me a lot of time every day and the opportunity to plan my homework how I want; it’s two different systems, with their own pros and cons.Since I wasn’t used to have so much homework for the following day, I had a little trouble adjusting at the beginning. As procrastination is strong in my family, I started working too late a couple times and ended reading instead of sleeping.


Speaking of readings, another big difference in the United States is that I have to BUY books for my courses. And very EXPENSIVE books! The thing is, at least here I will read them, since it’s graded; I can’t really say the same when I’m in France. 



Readings, readings everywhere… (photo by Fannie Dauphant)

It’s kind of the same with the classroom etiquette, there’s a big contrast between the UConn and my home university. At UConn there are mostly single classroom tables, very narrowed by the way. Because of that, everyone is far away from each other, which does a really good job at preventing chatting during the class! What with this crazy system that makes us be serious during class?! ^^
However, even if nobody talks during classes – which is not the case in France, as I’m sure you have understood – it has really surprised me to see a LOT of students casually go to the toilets in the middle of every classes, which only last one hour. It does happen in my home university, but it’s very rare, and the classes last mostly two hours. It is very funny and kind of intriguing to see that chatting during class is poorly perceived here at UConn, while literally missing a part of a lecture is fine; but I guess we can address the opposite question to the uses of my home university. 





In the United States, they have priorities!
(photo by Fannie Dauphant)


Written by: Fannie Dauphant 





No comments